Monday Oct 20th, 2014
Workshop is free but you must RSVP ahead of time! Please RSVP to Laurie Rink of the Middle Colorado Watershed Council at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for workshop. (You cannot sign up for this workshop on this website).
For more information call Laurie Rink at 303-204-4164 or email her at email@example.com
Registration Deadline: October 15, 2014. Registration required for lunch.
Location: BLM Colorado Field Office, 2300 River Frontage Road, Silt, Colorado 81652
- Classroom Session = 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Lunch served 11:30 to 12:15 pm.
- Optional Field Work beginning at 12:30 pm (limited spaces available for field portion), where we will be working to revegetate a restoration site.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED IN THE CLASSROOM SESSION
- Native riparian ecosystems – why are they important and what benefits do they provide to land owners?
- Russian olives and Salt Cedar (aka Tamarisk) – friends or foes?
- Other weedy invasives – which ones are important to control?
- Techniques for managing and maintain healthy, native riparian areas, including a primer on tamarisk beetles, and results from the latest research on Russian olive control.
- Watershed-scale riparian management, invasives control and restoration work – lessons learned and what’s possible in the Middle Colorado.
FIELD WORK SESSION
The field work session is designed to engage local school kids in doing on the ground field work to restore an invasive-species infested site. This afternoon session will be very hands on work, with an education component geared towards teaching school kids. Adult attendees of the morning classroom session are welcome to join the afternoon field work session but spots are limited so please RSVP early if you would like to attend.
Workshop sponsors include the Middle Colorado Watershed Council, Tamarisk Coalition, Garfield County, Mount Sopris Conservation District and the South Side Conservation District.
As a reminder: Workshop is free but you must RSVP ahead of time! Please RSVP to Laurie Rink of the Middle Colorado Watershed Council at firstname.lastname@example.org; for more information call Laurie Rink at 303-204-4164
Registration Deadline: October 15, 2014.